Rendering an Oriel Bay Window

I went to view a small rendering job in Sutton. Once there the client informed that I was the third plasterer to visit. Apparently the other two had walked away saying that they did not know how to re-render this oriel window.

Although a small amount of area it was detailed and would take some working out and a few visits to complete.  The client and decorator had decided that only two sides out of the four were to be rendered as the other two were fine.  The two sides definitely needed repairing as the render had detatched from the lathes beneath (as can be seen from the fist photos) and in danger of collapse.

We began by removing the sand and cement and lathes.  This in turn gave us the opportunity to insulate the void.  We then refixed the lathes (as this would add strength) and also give us the overall shape.  Next, we fixed EML (similar to chicken wire) to the rafters, and plastered on a scratch coat.

A couple of days later once the scratch coat had cured we fixed the beads.  This was tricky because the beads bellied outwards but also in an S shape the other way.  We then added another scratch coat in certain areas to bring out the render to the required depth.

Again, once cured we returned to add the final beads and finish off the rendering part of the job, which was the bands.

On our last visit we pebbledashed the centre sections to match the existing. 

When the bands were painted and the job tidied up the house was returned to its former glory.